Will brexit affect your cruise booking?

If you have already booked your cruise or are still considering your options, it’s natural that you have questions now that Great Britain has left the EU and how that affects your holiday plans.  Well you can relax. Booking with CruisingCoast2Coast and by extension GoCruise we can offer you a range of assurances.

fred olsen travel and gocruise

CruisingCoast2Coast trades as part of GoCruise which is owned by Fred Olsen Travel. As such we are:

ABTA and ATOL protected.

Fully compliant with all the rules and regulations regarding money back guarantees and refunds subject to cancellations.

already booked?

Government Travel Information Travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein will change from 1 January 2021.

Things you may need to do before you go include: check your passport get travel insurance that covers your healthcare check you have the right driving documents organise pet travel – contact your vet at least 1 month before you go There are more things to do if you’re travelling for business. For example, going to meetings and conferences, providing services (even with a charity), and touring art or music. Because of coronavirus (COVID-19), read the advice for travelling during the pandemic before you plan your trip

Passports: check if you need to renew You may need to renew your British passport earlier if you’re travelling to an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. On the day you travel, you’ll need your passport to both: have at least 6 months left be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left) These rules do not apply to travel to Ireland. You can continue to use your passport as long as it’s valid for the length of your stay. Healthcare: check you’re covered Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will continue to be valid if you’re travelling to an EU country.

You can use a UK passport to get medically necessary healthcare in Norway (for example emergency treatment, or to treat a pre-existing condition). If you’re travelling to Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you should get appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover before you travel. Make sure it covers any pre-existing conditions that were previously covered by your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). You can read advice on buying travel insurance with the right cover here UK-issued EHICs after 1 January 2021 Some people can apply for a new UK EHIC that they can continue to use from 1 January 2021 in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland. People who can apply for the new card include: UK students studying in the E U some British State Pensioners who live in the EU and their families EU nationals in the U K To find out more about the new UK EHIC visit

Entering other countries: At border control, you may need to: show a return or onward ticket show you have enough money for your stay use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing Visas for short trips: you will not need one if you’re a tourist If you’re a tourist, you will not need a visa for short trips to most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Different rules will apply to Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania. If you visit these countries, visits to other EU countries will not count towards the 90-day total. You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel.

Check each country’s travel advice page for information on how to get a visa or permit Travel to Ireland will not change from 1 January 2021.

You’ll also be able to work in Ireland in the same way as before.

Taking food and drink into EU countries: You will not be able to take meat, milk or products containing them into EU countries from 1 January 2021. There are some exceptions, for example certain amounts of powdered infant milk, infant food, or pet food required for medical reasons. Check the rules about taking food and drink into the EU on the European Commission website

Taking plants and plant products into EU countries: You’ll need a certificate to take certain plants and plant products into EU countries from 1 January 2021. Check the rules about taking plants and plant products into the EU on the European Commission website

Driving: You may need extra documents from 1 January 2021. If you’re taking your own vehicle, you will need a green card and a GB sticker. You might also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have: a paper driving licence a licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man Check with the embassy of the country you will be driving in.

Pet travel: allow at least 1 month to arrange From 1 January 2021 you will not be able to use the existing pet passport scheme. Instead, you’ll need an animal health certificate (AHC) for your pet. Allow at least 1 month to arrange this and relevant vaccinations. Follow the guidance about pet travel to Europe from 1 January 2021

Free mobile roaming: check with your phone operator From 1 January 2021, the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end. Check with your phone operator to find out about any roaming charges you might get from 1 January 2021. A new law means that you’re protected from getting mobile data charges above £45 without you knowing. Once you reach £45, you need to opt in to spend more so that you can continue using the internet while you’re abroad. Your phone operator will tell how you can do this.

Any further questions please feel free to contact us here at CruisingCoast2Coast.